Thursday, July 14, 2005

TDP Close to Broke

I didn't know how to react when I first read that the Texas Democratic Party is "short on funds." Translation: they may not be able to make payroll.

My first thought was -- how fucking pathetic. Add to the list of incompetences and humiliations of the state party a new one. For whatever you think about the job Texas Democrats have done in the last few elections collectively, the state party has been an organizational disaster, at least throughout the Molly Beth Malcolm years. I don't know how Schoeting is doing, but this article doesn't reflect well.

They had a hard time keeping staff when they actually had the money to pay them!

My second thought was -- good. The resurgence of the Dems will come from outside the party structure. To the extent that has happened nationally, the new force has been MoveOn and the Dean campaign. Let TDP fade away and let some real grassroots organization grow up -- or, hell, let Fred Baron pony up for the new non-party party/527 that everyone is rumoring about, and let's get going.

The party has had less influence than TTLA for years anyway (though as I write this I remember I should give Schoeting props for going after Craddick Dems in the primaries -- for that alone he is a far better success than MBM) and less influence than Laney's Texas Partnership or Frost's organization. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. This just makes it official.

Finally I actually read the story, and I saw this quote from Mike Lavigne:

"We're Democrats. We're never going to match the big-money operations the Republicans can mount," Lavigne said. "But at least the money we do raise is legal."


And finally I thought, great fucking line. If we're going down, let's at least pop the other guy in the chin on our way to the mat.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't discount the Friedman campaign. I was listening to one of his radio interviews on his site and appearantly Lance Armstrong and former Democratic governor Dolph Brisco have pledged to help the campaign. As well as Branch Davidian lawyer Dick DeGueren. I know its a long shot, being that Texas is the ONLY state in the union that still requires an independent candidate to gather 50,000 signatures to get on the ballot, but it seems like he is gathering Joementum, uh, err, I mean momentum.

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oy veh, I hope he doesn't catch any Joementum!

12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faulkner had a penis?

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He might have had a penis but he didn't have any balls.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home