Thursday, July 21, 2005

Tear the bark off the bastard

So maybe I haven't followed it all that closely, but I don't think Roberts is that bad. And by that I mean, it will be hard for the Dems to make a case against the guy. I haven't seen any truly outrageous rulings. He was approved unanimously. And yeah, he's affable. We had such garish abuses with Owens and Rogers to tee off on, with this guy I don't know.

And whatever he believes on choice, he hasn't ruled on it, just wrote a brief for a client -- in this case, the White House as Solicitor General. I just think people are going to say, "Bush is a Republican. This guy is more moderate than others that he's put up. Are you Dems going to fight everyone who isn't Souter?"

That was all a lead in to another post (courtesy of Kos again) that I highly recommend. While I don't think we should do it with Roberts, I think this is how we ought to play:

Defining Mr. Roberts

In fact, if I were running a propaganda campaign to try to soften Judge Roberts up before his confirmation hearings, I'd probably go a hell of a lot further than Moveon. I'd call him a fat cat corporate lawyer who made millions catering to wealthy CEOs. A Washington insider who has spent his entire adult life shuttling back and forth between K Street and Wall Street. An arrogant, out-of-touch Ivy Leaguer who probably vacations at posh resorts with other arrogant, out-of-touch Ivy Leaguers. (And I would say it no matter where he actually vacations -- or even if he takes no vacations at all.)

I would dig up every client that Roberts ever represented, and God help him if any have had even the slightest trouble with the criminal justice system. I'd put together ads juxtaposing pictures of him with photos of Bernie Ebbers, Dennis Kozlowski and Ken Lay, and run them in selected media markets, just below the national media's radar screen. And if Roberts has ever issued any rulings that in any way, shape or form have made it more difficult to fight crime or terrorism, some of those ads would morph him into Pedro Escobar or Osama bin Ladin.

I'd make a lot of hay out of Roberts' ruling in the infamous french fry case -- using it as a parable for an eggheaded judge who has plenty of book learning but no common sense. If the girl was African American, so much the better for targeted ads on urban radio stations.

Ditto for Roberts's ruling on the POW damage claims. I'd get some disabled Gulf War I vets to do testimonials and hold press conferences: "Saddam only destroyed my health, but Judge Roberts destroyed my faith in my country." Gulf War Veterans for Truth has a nice ring to it.

[...]

In other words, I would run my slime campaign exactly the way the Republicans run theirs. I'd tear the bark off the bastard, to quote Lee Atwater's famous phrase. And let the Republicans and the corporate media howl -- it would only "catapult the propaganda."

Most importantly of all, I would do it energetically and unapologetically. And I would expect every political hack in the Democratic Party to do likewise -- or, at a minimum, keep their whimpy mouths shut. Or else.


Yeah.