Tuesday, October 20, 2009

communication breakdown, dos por uno

how do you say this:



















that was my problem yesterday at the pitico (sort of like a small supermarket). I don't see any 2000 flushes anywhere, so I ask a guy with a pitico shirt on, "se vende [hand motion] para limpiar el retrete?" [blank stare] "la toileta?" "que?" "una cosa para limpiar su retrete? toileta? como when you [hand motion for flush?] 
at this point, a pregnant woman in the same aisle mercifully came to my aid, said something very rapidly and the man nodded. I said, "gracias." She said, "you're welcome."
Toilet bowl cleaner acquired. Next mission is to get a haircut. 
I can manage "hace seis o siete semanas desde me pasado corte de pelo," and "corto pero no demasiado corto." then the conversation became completely unintelligible to me. lots of questioning "sí's" later, I walked out with shorter hair that looks perfectly fine. 
today in class I learn that "retrete," while technically correct, is a very old-fashioned way of saying toilet, sort of like commode. A toilet is a "taza" (same word for cup), or maybe an "excusado", and the above product is a "pastilla para baño," or pill for the bathroom. 
more studying, fewer micheladas. 

1 Comments:

Anonymous marvelle said...

It's toilet paste!

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home